fot

Re: Another Tow Vehicle Question

To: jrherrera90@hotmail.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another Tow Vehicle Question
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:34:21 EST
In a message dated 11/5/2003 7:35:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jrherrera90@hotmail.com writes:

> Vehicle: Dale, a 1988 Chevy 4 wheel drive K1500 truck, 305 engine and
> overdrive automatic transmission with 100,000 miles on the odo

Which (in total mileage) is nothing these days!

> ...struggle in low gear to pull a TR3 on an open steel tandem
> axle trailer up a grade....this seems excessive.
>
> Would a fresh 305 solve this problem or is this engine unsuitable for
> towing?

I don't know. I do know that I special-ordered my 1991 Ford Explorer for
towing. This was back when the 4.0L, 160 hp V-6 was the only motor available.
Of
course, I'd insisted on the five-speed manual, so the total tow rating dropped
from around 5000 lb to 2900 lb.! I guess Ford didn't want to warranty clutches
and such. Guess what? I never had a moment's trouble with the clutch in
217,000 miles! In addition to all the usual heavy-duty stuff, the towing
packaged
included a limited-slip rear with a low (numerically high) rear end.

Through the years, it almost always averaged around 20.5 mpg by itself and
around 19 towing. My trailer is only a single axle, but it's one heavy trailer
and has accommodated cars as heavy as Peugeot 505 wagons (don't ask; it wasn't
mine). Even the Peugeot load couldn't bog the Explorer down below third gear
on hills. And even when I ran from NY to WV (empty trailer) and back (full
trailer) with one bad plug lead, I could still maintain 40-45 mph in third on
the
worst uphill climbs. Tough old truck...until the last time my mechanic "fixed"
it....

So I can't imagine that the 305 could be that bad, tired or fresh!

BTW, anyone want a '91 Explorer for parts. Make me an offer, and come get it!
:-)

--Andy Mace

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and
those who don't."