fot

RE: Learning to Drive

To: "kas kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>, "Ted Schumacher"
Subject: RE: Learning to Drive
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 17:05:54 -0500
The only problem with sending a driver to a corner for a session
or even a day is that it is scary for the flagger to have to watch
someone who may not want to be there. I don't mind having a driver
come out and help or even spectate if I don't have to keep an eye
out for his safety as well as my own.

And yes Kas, we are a crazy bunch. But even though I probably
will never be behind the wheel of a race car again, I still enjoy
having the best seat in the house. ;)

As both Kas and Ted have said, watching different drivers take the
'line' through a corner is something else. If you watch the fastest
drivers, you find that they don't always look fast in the corners,
but rather they are very smooth. I can't tell you the number of
practice and qualifying sessions I have tried to guess who is going
to be on pole only to find out that the guy that looked like he was
trying to learn the course is the pole-sitter.

Doug