fot

Re: cheap aluminum jack

To: Herald948@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cheap aluminum jack
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:11:53 EST
In a message dated 12/09/2003 9:02:12 AM Central Standard Time,
Herald948@aol.com writes:

> Clever! Admittedly, what we used to do many years ago, in the heyday of the
> Hardly Boys RaceSpit 4 autocrosser, was to simply carry a couple short
> lengths of 2" x 6" wood. Drive the front wheels up onto the wood, insert
>jack,
> Bob's your uncle, etc.

Amici:

That's what we do at the track with the Thunder Bolt as well, which is very
low in the front.  We have one of those ultralight-weight racing jacks.  We've
had it several years.  We paid about three times the prices quoted now,
however.  Also, a few years ago we bought a jack from Gariot's (sp?).  It is
not
particularly light, and does not lend itself to use at the track, but it is
'slicker than snot' (bricklayer talk) in the shop.  It has a very, very low
pickup
point, and also you can get nearly a foot under the car before you start
jacking.  This jack was not all that expensive ($400 +/-) at the time, but I
have
not seen it advertised lately.  We bought it when it appeared on the catalogue
cover.  I don't recall seeing it again since.

Bill Dentinger