fot

Re: cheap aluminum jack

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cheap aluminum jack
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 00:16:32 -0700
The jack I picked up earlier this year at Harbor Fright has a saddle height
of something like 3.5 inches, compared to the 5.5 or so of the Sears shop
jack I've been using.  Even at 3.5, it is still too high to get under the
front frame of a Spit when the car is sporting 20 x N x 13 slicks.

What we did this spring to the red racing Spit is put a forged eye bolt
through the front bumper/bonnet mount frame crossmember.  I should get a good
picture of this.  If you look at http://fatchancegarage.com you can sort of
almost see a bit of shininess on the road race Spit, the one with the blue
roll bar padding.  Right down there below the grill, in the middle of the
black valence.

The eye bolt has a working load limit of about twice the Spit's weight, and
serves as an anchor point for winching it on the trailer and as a jacking
point that both the low slung and the Sears jack can get under, even with
a deflated front slick.  It is a handy little addition, though one might
not want to have such a thing hanging down on a street car.

mjb.