fot

RE: Interesting Arabic & European News Coverage (Non Triumph)

To: "'Group44TR7@aol.com '" <Group44TR7@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Interesting Arabic & European News Coverage (Non Triumph)
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:25:52 -0800
Strange discussion. No motor parts or racing anywhere.

Still, as a guy who spent a lot of his time trying to control what reporters
report, I feel compelled to reveal a deep secret: Media always favors the
opinions of those who own it. If you're looking for truth I really wouldn't
know where to direct you. But as someone who has spent a serious amount of
time outside the US I don't consider that media anywhere else presents an
"uncensored" view as opposed to the censored views here. It's all BS. It
either exists to sell viewers to advertisers (which drives news towards
sensationalism) or it promotes the views of those who control it. Or as one
of my bosses once said--"don't piss off people who buy ink by the barrel."

It's a goofy world, and we're not going to ungoof it easily. P.J O'Rourke,
one of my favorite loony semi-journalists has a very interesting article on
Iraq in this month's Harpers. Worth a read.