fot

Re: Fuel system questions

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel system questions
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:43:44 -0600
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a fuel pressure gauge.  We've had our
share of apparent fuel system problems when first developing uncle jack's
car, and without a fuel pressure gauge in the dash it's more challenging to
figure out where the problem really is.  So, when I prepared R. John Lye's
old Autocross special (wonderful TR-4!) for road racing one of the gauges I
installed was a fuel pressure gauge in the dash.  For safety, this requires
an "isolator" which keeps the fuel out of the passenger compartment (fuel
to the isolator, anti-freeze from the isolator to the fuel pressure
gauge).  While I haven't had any fuel delivery problems with a single
holley blue top and matched low pressure regulator, it's nice to be able to
keep an eye on the pressure if the car starts acting funny.  Another gauge
that is helpful for diagnostic stuff is an EGT gauge.  That way if the car
starts running funny, you can check fuel pressure - if that's OK, check the
EGT.  If it's reading high you've gone lean, if it's reading low you've
gone rich.

We've had problems with fuel pumps (generally facet), pressure regulators,
and float bowl issues (Stromberg = unfixable, SU H6 = fixable with
vibration isolators, SU HS6 = fixable with proper float bowl top orientation).

- Tony Drews