fot

Re: Axle bits

To: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Subject: Re: Axle bits
From: "MARK J WEATHERS" <markjwea@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 06:55:46 -0700
Amici, here is the explanation of the difference in spacers with the stock
hub and the Southwick:

Apparently when Uncle Jack and Southwick designed the new hubs, a slightly
different bearing  set was used. The inboard bearing is much wider than
stock, so the spacer needs to be shorter. There is also a slight difference
in the Inside diameter of the cage, so the spacer has to be slightly smaller
in OD than stock.

The good news is that the axle is the same for either application, in fact
it carries the large center diameter farther out along the shaft so that the
Southwick bearing is more fully supported than with the  stock shaft where
the bearing actually hangs out over the taper. The bad news is that the
shims need to be slightly smaller so that they fit inside the bearing cage
for the Southwick. The stock hub types can buy additional or replacement
shims from McMaster Carr, but the SW types will either have to buy them from
me or modify the McMaster shims themselves. Replacement shims for SW are
$500 each and must be replaced after every race (ha ha just kidding). I
bought some additional shims and are shrinking them in case anyone needs
them. It may be possible to fit stock bearings to the SW hub but Uncle Jack
or Tony would have to weigh in on that.

Bottom line: Axles work in either application and can be used without
spacers as well. There may be some stiffness gain just with the axle
upgrade. Spacers and shims are specific to hub type, but are low cost
compared to the axle ($45 per car set).

Axles can be purchased seperately, should cost in the neighborhood of $240,
although I need to look at actual costs from the first run and see before I
commit. All axles from the first run are spoken for but the next run should
be much quicker, before the snow melts anyway.  I will not sell spacers and
shims without the axles unless you have already purchased axles
d   -strongly advise-   against using spacers with stock axles because of
the tensile load placed on the axle.

Mark