fot

Re: Axle bits

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Axle bits
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:57:04 -0600
Here's my recommendation(s):
If you normally run the Southwick hub but carry stock hubs as spares, buy
the Southwick version of the kit.  If something happens that you need to go
to the stock hub, just don't run the spacers until you correct the problem
and go back to the Southwick hub.

Alternately, you can buy the spacer kit that works with the stock hub (in
addition to the Southwick version you've bought) and carry it with the
spare stock hub.  It is a good idea to carry a spare set of the Southwick
sized wheel bearings so you don't have to resort to a stock hub, though.

Whether you choose to run the spacers or not, you'll get the advantages of
the stiffer, stronger, better front spindle.  The spacer should give
additional resistance to deflection, but is certainly
optional.  Incidentally, front wheel bearing spacers are in common use in
stock car racing.

I do NOT recommend using stock bearings in the Southwick hub even if
they'll fit, but I'm 95% sure that they won't.  I don't have handy access
to the innards of one of the Southwick hubs without taking a corner of my
car back apart, but one of the major improvements made going with the
Southwick hub was the bearing replacement.  The bearings that go with the
Southwick hub are MUCH better quality and higher strength than
stock.  We've killed a few sets of stock bearings before going to the new
hub design - they don't hold up well in racing conditions.

- Tony Drews