fot

Re: lube torqued fasteners?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: lube torqued fasteners?
From: "Jason Sukey" <jsukey@eng.utoledo.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:39:11 -0500
As far as the difference in torque specs for coated/uncoated/lubricated
fasteners,  pulled out my text book from machine design ("Mechanical
Engineering Design" by Shigley and Mischke).

Torque required to reach a given preload can be estimated by the equation:
T=K*F*d

Where T is torque, K is a torque factor, F is the preload, and d is the
major diameter of the fastener.  The values given for the torque factor (K)
are:
0.30 for nonplated black finish
0.20 for zinc-plated
0.18 for lubricated
0.16 for cadmium-plated
0.12 with Bowman Anti-Seize
0.09 with Bowman-Grip nuts

(The chart of torque factors was taken from Bowman Distribution, a fastener
manufacturer)

That gives an idea of the effects of coating and lube on the torque values,
just to muddy the water a little more.

Jason Sukey