fot

Re: lube torqued fasteners?

To: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>,
Subject: Re: lube torqued fasteners?
From: "MARK J WEATHERS" <markjwea@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 04:30:58 -0700
Here's my 2 shillings (farthings?) worth:

While torquing a fastener too close to the yield point may be detrimental,
fatigue life probably goes down if the fastener is undertorqued as well. You
do not want the fastener system be stetching and unstretching under load
cycles, as this cycling generates fatigue problems, it has to be clamped and
stetched enough to keep everything still. Think TR6 flywheels and  Kas'
latest book.

I always thought the primary benefit of lubing the fastener was to get a
more accurate torque reading in the absence of measuring stretch, although
it make sense the target would have to be reduced a bit. Sticking friction
would have a big impact on torque reading in my mind. I would rather be
slightly overtorqued but know exactly where it is than be undertorqued and
thinking everything was great. Cheap torque wrenches are probably a bigger
source of variation than anything else I am guessing.

Mark
72 TR6