fot

Re: Calling you tire/suspension experts

To: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Subject: Re: Calling you tire/suspension experts
From: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:30:55 -0600
Henry Frye wrote:

> I have been seeing tire wear on my TR4 vintage racer that indicates to
> me I can improve something in the front end setup, but I can't figure
> out what to do. Take a look at these pictures:
>
> http://www.henryfrye.com/tires/
>
> Any comments, observations, words of wisdom? It would be nice to get
> more that two weekends on a set of tires.

Just looking at these from a strictly classical point of view,
ignoring for a moment the track and tire temps, I'd say there is a
combination of three things at work--slightly too much negative
camber when the tire is heavily loaded, slightly over-inflated, and
the feathering on the second inside tread indicates a very slight
excess toe.

If the irregular wear is beginning on the rear, it could indicate
that the axle housing is sprung very slightly, along with a little
over-inflation.

Just my guess from looking at them. Assuming the problem starts at
the front, with a 1-1/8th-inch bar, there may be enough roll
stiffness up front that there's a bit too much static negative
camber to bring the tire upright in turns.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.