fot

Re: Airstream

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>,
Subject: Re: Airstream
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:53:26 -0500
On 23 May 2004, at 14:06, Bill Babcock wrote:

> It looks like you guys are doing something I've been thinking
> of--converting an old Airstream to haul your vintage car. I'm bidding on a
> 30 footer. I want to gut it, and build it so it has a compact living area
> and still carry Peyote. Is that what you guys are up to?

Hi Bill,

Yep, thats exactly what we're doing!  Ours is a 31' (overall length) and
measures 28' inside end to end and 60" or more between the wheel
wells.  Plenty of room for 2 triumphs.  (front car loaded backwords
and rear car loaded frontwards)  I've been doing a LOT of research on
what can and can't be done.  Our trailer has a GVWR of 7400 lbs.  The
frame will need to be beafed up and since ours has a bunch of rotted
flooring I'm going to pull the shell on it, which is also the easiest way to
beaf up the frame.  Somewhere we have some pictures of what it
looks like "gutted".  We plan on getting rid of the blackwater tank and
only having a grey water and a fresh water tank.  A small shower will
be built in the very front with a chemical toilet setup there also.  The
back end of the shell at the last rib will be split at that point and we will
hinge the rear shell portion upwards, kinda like a clam shell.

Should make for a interesting trailer! :)

If you would like more details we can carry this on offline.

Brad & Susan
1957 TR3 vintage racer
1969 Spitfire 1300 vintage racer
1974 31' Airstream Excella 500 vintage racer hauler (someday!)