fot

Re:cylinder liner height problem

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:cylinder liner height problem
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:37:31 EDT
Dave,

If the block is OK and has not been poorly decked, and the liners are true,
and you have a good system to measure the TR2/3/4 liner height, and the problem
is variation from the left to right side, as viewed from the driver's seat:
IF the liners are clamped properly, the motor may have the terrible fiber
(fibre) Fig.8 rings, or steel Fig.8 rings that are more rusted on one side of
the
motor, or the incorrect gasket cement on the Fig.8 rings.

The problem is not likely to be a different thickness between the front and
rear Fig.8 rings.

If you pull the liners, you can mark them before you remove them, and then
rotate them to
check their side-to-side length from the top to the Fig.8 seat with a trial
fitting.

I carefully inspect the Fig.8 surface in the block for problems and FOD.

The shim head gasket does require a greater degree of accuracy.

A standard head gasket that hangs into the bore will last a very, very, short
time on the track.

Whilst you are at it, check the top of the block for cracks from the short
head stud holes.

TR Regards,
    Hardy