fot

RE: SCCA cages

To: <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: SCCA cages
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:31:51 -0700
Interesting discussion...My '62 TR4 was first prepared (as far as I can
document) for racing in Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association events in 1970.
The owner/driver put a full cage in at that time. The rear hoop still bears
the original PHA roll bar stamp. The car was then taken SCCA racing in 1974.

I tracked the owner down after purchasing the car in 1990 and asked him,
'why the full cage' which was quite unusual for sports car racing at the
time. He told me that he had watched lots of Sprint Car races at Hagerstown
Speedway in Maryland and had seen some pretty ugly accidents and felt he
was, 'better safe than sorry'.

An unusual decision back then but period correct for the car's 70's racing
career.

Brad