fot

Re: converting a tr2 to disks?

To: putsch.1@osu.edu
Subject: Re: converting a tr2 to disks?
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 04:49:10 GMT
I use the TR4 calipers and rotors on my TR3.  I have been using Porterfield R4
compound pads and have done well with them.  I would stay away from drilled
rotors, since the drilling makes them prone to cracking, which may lead to
failure.  TRF is selling dimpled and slotted rotors, but I have not used them.
I slotted my own rotors on my milling machine with a ball nose end mill.
Nothing fancy, just 2 parallel slots across them on each face.  Saw that in one
of Carroll Smith's books.  It works.

You will likely need to source used calipers and caliper brackets.  While you
are at it, change the upright, trunion and upper A arms to late TR4 (4A?)ones,
since they have some castor and it is a little easier to make camber
adjustments.  Also, I have found a few TR3 upper A arms with cracks at the ball
joint, so there is a weakness with them.  Joe(B)

-- CAMERON PUTSCH <putsch.1@osu.edu> wrote:
Hello,

   I will be converting my '54 TR2 based Devin to front disk brakes. I hear
that the TR4 brakes are the way to go because of the lighter calipers.
Basically, I reed to aquire all the parts to do this and don't know where to go
and since this will be a race application I am going to need aggresive pads and
it would be nice to have drilled/slotted rotors as well. I apreciate any help.

Sincerely, Casey at putsch.1@osu.edu

NetZero Gift Certificates
Give the gift of Internet access this holiday season.
http://www.netzero.com/give