fot

Re: parts suppliers

To: <fpspitfire@insightbb.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: parts suppliers
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:10:57 -0600
Most of the parts you will find out there fall into one of two categories:
replacement or performance.

Houses like Vicky Brit and Roadster Factory have replacement parts that are
basically bone stock. Having bought from both, I would not say their quality
is "dodgy" at all, but what I get there is basic stuff, good quality for
what it is but not pretending to be high-performance racer pieces.

If Stock is not what you want, then you're looking to places like Tilton for
brake parts.

I don't think I've ever come across a "performance trunnion" and I've broken
my share of them -- and when I did and people suggested I should upgrade to
a GT6 front suspension, it was noted the GT6 trunnion is exactly the same as
the Spitfire trunnion. The part is what it is (Lotus Elan uses it too).

Bearings is bearings, and nearly all I've ever seen seem machined to high
quality. Timken is not the only brand out there. Go to a local bearing house
with your dimensions (or the old bearing) and they can take care of you --
but the ones you get from Vicky Brit or TRF may be the exact same bearing.

One key place worth looking at is our friend Ted Schumacher, who is on this
list. TS Imports - go see www.tsimportedautomotive.com. He knows what you
need perhaps better than you do. He's good with odds and ends too (and
occasionally the unobtainable part) -- and I've put any number of his used
parts (stock!) on my racer with no complaint. If eventually, they break, I
am mindful that I am stressing them way beyond what some engineer in 1963
may have designed. I keep hoping Ted does not retire before I quit racing,
and I'm not intending to quit anytime soon.

Good luck,

--Rocky Entriken