fot

RE: parts suppliers

To: fpspitfire@insightbb.com
Subject: RE: parts suppliers
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:45:45 -0500
Aaron Johnson asked:

Brembo brake components can be bought just about anywhere.  NOS Girling
stuff a bit harder to find, so you will have to use the Big 3, which also
applies to trunnions.

As for bearings, pull the old bearings, take them to your local bearing
dealer, and ask for Timken or SKF replacements.  This will absolutely
gurantee you the best bearings money can buy (unless your name is NASA).
ABEC-1 (Annular Bearing Engineers Committee) standard are fine for us, but
if you like spending, ABEC-5 standard is fine as well.  Use double-sealed
bearings for the wheels.

My point being is that for consumable items, you should develop a close
relationship with your local dealer and learn what constitute good and
mediocre parts.  I save the Big 3 (usually TRF) for specific parts that I
cannot find anywhere else for less.

Shane Ingate, really, really late in this thread because I read the digest,
in Maryland