fot

West Coast Triumph MG Challenge

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: West Coast Triumph MG Challenge
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:08:31 -0800
So I've got this here idea...  Don't run, it's not a bad thing. A West Coast
Triumph-MG Challenge. I thinbk Chuck, or Jeff Quick, or somebody else
suggested it earlier. I've been working a little to see what would be
feasible.

There's a really cool race in Portland at PIR called the Columbia Classic.
This year it's September 3-5. It's run in conjunction with the All British
Field Meet which is a club show for british cars that includes a concours,
autocross, vendors, and jumble. Lots of bagpipes and bangers, that sort of
stuff.

Two years ago Sovren started running the race in conjunction with the ABFM.
Went over very well. I'm pushing at them to spice it up a bunch with more
spectator stuff (parties, etc.) and people dressing in period wear. Easy for
me, I'm still wearing the same greasy levis I wore in the sixties. It's the
perfect event for that kind of thing, could be kind of a mini-Goodwood.

So the idea is a MG-Triumph challenge West, with both the MG-TR thing and
the East-West thing going. There's a fair amount of skepticism here that
such a challenge might not pull many cars, and would take away from the
regular grid. I think the second part is easy to address--we could possibly
even add a day to overcome any such issues. I suspect there are not as many
MGs and Triumph racing on the West coast as the east, but I may be wrong.
Even so, I suspect that some of our friends in the square flat states might
tow out for a late fall event. Portland is usually magic in September, it's
often our best month for great weather

What I need is a rough head count, both from the MG guys and the Triumph
folks. Who would come?

Doesn't mean it will happen, but there's a better shot if I have evidence
that we could fill a grid.

Joe, could you forward this on the MG contingent.