fot

Re: J-type overdrive

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: J-type overdrive
From: Don Elliott <58tr3a@videotron.ca>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:03:00 -0400
I had the overdrive in my TR3A (A type) rebuilt after VTR in Portland Oregon
in 2000.  The pressure rose to 325 psi, normal for an "A type" overdrive.
It worked fine for about 10 miles then wouldn't work.  We spent a day trying
to get it to work without success before bleeding the oil down from top to
bottom with a dentists pick to pry back the bottom ball valve, filling the
oil via the top hex plug on the right hand side with the top ball valve out,
and we let the oil flow down.  Then it worked and has worked fine since.  It
is my opinion now that I believe that if I had just driven it, would have
corrected itself after a while.

Don Elliott, Cancer Survivor, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada