fot

RE: J-type overdrive

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: J-type overdrive
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 18:39:36 -0700
> Are you referring to the O-ring ON the J-type solenoid (Moss 520-330) or
> O-rings that are INSIDE the solenoid (not listed in Moss catalog)?

I did both ... most likely it was the ones inside that made the difference.

>  If you
> are referring tom O-rings inside the solenoid, do you know the
> size/material
> and a source for them?

Buna-N (nitrile) is the right material ... I got all mine from an O-ring kit
bought many years ago at Horrible Freight for about $3.50 (on sale).
According to the ISOA article at
http://www.snic-braaapp.org/itech01.htm#JType1
it takes :
(2)     -007
(1)     -010
(2)     -013
although I can't swear those are the sizes I used.  As it happens, the coil
was also coming loose on mine, so I drilled out the pins that hold the coil
to the valve, replaced the O-ring inside there, and drilled and tapped 4 new
holes 4-40 in the valve to hold the coil.

>  How do you get the solenoid apart to replace them?

There is a small, internal snap-ring in the end.  I removed it and the brass
plug and spring that popped up when I did.  Then I rapped the end of
solenoid on my (wood) workbench to encourage the internal plunger to move
out, and pried it the rest of the way through the holes on the side.

Oops, gotta run.  Let me know if I've not been clear.
Randall