fot

RE: Diagram

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Diagram
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:36:36 -0700
> Check out this diagram showing a tire on the nine degree banking.
> http://www.formula1.com/race/technical_analysis/740/149.html

I'm confused.  Why would the tire be at right angles to horizontal, instead
of right angles to the road surface ?  Is the turn only banked from the
center outwards or something ?

I don't really care, what the Michelin drivers did seems pretty damn
childish to me.  But that web page seems way off the mark.  The 9 degree
bank just means they can take the corner really fast, and the Michelin tires
couldn't handle the loading generated in the ultra-fast corner.  I can see
not wanting to run a non-competitive car ... but not blaming the track for
being too fast.  Or the sanctioning body for not slowing the track down.

Randall