fot

Re: BRIC -- Huge pile-up!

To: BillDentin@aol.com
Subject: Re: BRIC -- Huge pile-up!
From: JReed@wilson.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:15:47 -0700
Foreshadow!!!  Cars were lining up on the false grid for group six
practice Sat. when I hear crunching fiberglass and metal. A corvette rear
ended another so hard the rear wheels of other car were of the ground. It
took a tow truck to lift one car off the other. The hitter said he had no
brakes. Watching him being flat towed down the very steep hill by T5 I
wondered why he wasn't into the back of the tow truck.

John Reed
Wilson Sporting Goods Co.
Staff Photographer
773-490-8908

Effective immediately, please note my new email address has changed to
jreed@wilson.com

BillDentin@aol.com
Sent by: owner-fot@autox.team.net
07/18/05 08:34 AM
Please respond to
BillDentin@aol.com

oldskooling@yahoo.com, fot@autox.team.net
cc

Subject
Re: BRIC -- Huge pile-up!

In a message dated 07/18/2005 9:59:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
oldskooling@yahoo.com writes:

> Bill, speaking of other problems in that group here is what one of the
SCCA
> guys working the corners posted on the Production drivers forum talking
> about what happened just after the carnage at the start/finish line...

Bob:

I was not aware of that (i.e.,....that ANY cars got through that mess).

SCCA drivers or not, there is no excuse for not knowing what is expected
under RED or BLACK flag circumstances.  One of the Group TWO sessions was
Black
flagged.  I held my fist up, but an A/H 100 went shooting by.  He then
realized
what he'd done, slowed up, and to my knowledge the session ended as it
should.

The BRIC Driver's packet has crystal clear printed instructions for all
such
matters.  They are not verbose.  They're succinct and an easy read.
Likewise
RED and BLACK flag instructions are gone over at the driver's meeting.
There
is no excuse for drivers 'not knowing.'  I am sure such information has
been
turned over to the VSCDA Driver's Committee.  I know a Group SIX meeting
was
held in the Control Tower after the incident, where they checked to ensure

anyone who needed First Aid got it, but also to critique the catastrophe.

In the Group TWO feature race, Don Brick got hit behind the left rear
wheel
at the apex to Turn TWO by a young and over enthusiastic MG driver.  It
punted
him off course and did some minor fender damage, but thank God it didn't
roll
him over.  It sure could have.  The driver was very apologetic (and
rightly
so).  I hope it impacts his vintage attitude.  But...what's the old
saying?  It
is very difficult to only put it in a little.

Bill Dentinger

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from any computer.