fot

Re: Engine won't run

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine won't run
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:47:51 GMT
Thanks for all of the suggestions about my engine problem.  I think I found the
problem - 2 bad condensors.  One was new this year the other was from last
year.  Not sure why they are failing.  I also found that the spring for the
(new this year)  Mallory points are also much weaker than the ones I have used
in the past.  Maybe with the weak springs the points were floating and causing
the condensor failures?  Any ideas on why condensors would fail?  They check ok
with an ohm meter.  They give the typical capacitor kick.
After my spare distributor worked in the car I swapped the points and condensor
on my old one and it worked.  I noticed then that the new points that had been
in the car had such low tension.  After the car ran with the replaced points
and cond. I put the old cond. in and it barely ran.  I put the working cond.
back on and it barely ran - now what?  Tried again and it finally caught.  A
plug or plugs must have been fouling so it was taking time for them to clear.
I even put the coil on that I thought had failed at the track on and it works.
I swapped condensors a couple more times and wound up with 2 that the car would
barely run with.  The car keeps starting/runnig fine with the replacement
points and condensor.  Joe(B)