fot

EP @ Runnoffs

To: "Friend Of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: EP @ Runnoffs
From: "David Wingett" <elkhorn@core.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:08:45 -0400
Amici,

            I just woke up from the long drive home from MID/O to mid-Mich.
The M/O paddock police don't give you much time to clean out ...GET OUT, no
you cant leave in the morning GET OUT NOW!      I'll un-pack latter, maybe
tomorrow.

             I crewed for Sam & no Sam Halkias isn't on the FOT list and I've
asked him a number of times to no avail,  maybe someday.   I wouldn't be
racing today if it weren't for his help.  This was my week to help him.

            Practice went well and we got to see what times were going to be
like.  1:34 - 1:35+ were expected on the poll .  Sam came in around 9th I
think.  Sound got him at 105db, re-did the turnout on the pipes and hoped for
the best.
            Lost  the #1 engine  during 2nd Qualifying , (picked up a piece of
junk in the dry sump pump) . pulled it and re-installed the #2 engine that
night,  buttoned it up in the morning.  As I  torqued down the wheels I found
the right axle had blew out the bearings so we did a quick change with
another.  We didn't take the time to tear it down but expect to find dry
bearings.
            3rd Qualifying was primarily breaking for the engine.  Sam got a
good time but got hung up in slow traffic.
Personal note:  Qualifying & Practice  IS NOT A RACE.   A lot of good race
cars were busted up in all classes by stupid drivers trying to race a faster
car (on a slow lap)  or a pack of drivers running together  only to slow
everyone down.
            I don't think any of the top 10 cars did any more then 5 laps in
either Practice or Qualifying.
More on the race later,  The wife says I've had two cups of coffee and have
been sitting here for an hour....."get your a$$ out there and unpack"

                        Dave