fot

Re: [FOT] Fuel Pressures

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Fuel Pressures
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:17:02 -0500
Good point from Ted about HS6's being better.

I have HS6's, as do most but not all racers. I did not have the
problem on my car until very recently. I used the rubber version of
the little positioning part that goes between the float chamber and
the body. That gave some shock absorbtion for the chamber. Then I
experienced two complete failures of the bolt that holds the float
chamber on. I used grade 8 bolts, Loctite, etc and still had the
failures. My last round on this was to replace the rubber doober,
which I can no longer find, with the aluminum one, which is quite
common, and soft mount the whole carburetor. Problem solved but it's
more work. Some guys use the available Weber mounting plate but you
have to source the Weber plate from Moss and the springs and rubbers
from elsewhere which is inconvenient. I used the parts available in
the UK but which I also can no longer find. That part is an aluminum
plate which replaces the fiber insulator block, has big o-ring
grooves and big fat o-ring on each side, and then used the Weber
rubbers under the studs. The carbs are nicely floppy and I think the
vibration problem is solved. I also drilled out the 1/4" hole in the
float chamber, for the attaching bolt, and tapped it for 5/16". we'll
see if that holds.

.

At 08:46 AM 8/2/2006, Ted Schumacher wrote:
>HS6 carbs usually solve the vibration problem.  No more brass float
>inside a rigid mounted float chamber.  Ted
>
>Jack W. Drews wrote:
>
>>Supporting Bob's solution, I know of four TR's that had this
>>problem during the last season -- breakup at about 5000. It is
>>worse on cars that have the engine mounted very solidly - that is,
>>motor mounts that have little cushioning. Four bangers have some
>>bad vibes. The vibrations from Offenhausers used to break the chassis.

uncle jack