fot

Re: [FOT] Clutch slave cylinder

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl@gt-classics.com>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Clutch slave cylinder
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 06:51:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, R. John Lye wrote:

> At 12:01 AM 8/11/2006 +0000, m-syork@comcast.net wrote:
> >Howe also makes a generic hydraulic throw out bearing (eliminating the
> >slave cylinder altogether) p/n HRE-8288 in the Summit Racing catalog. I
> >wonder if anyone has tried to adapt it to the TR transmissions?
>
> That looks a lot like the one that I used.  If it wasn't
> that one, it was very similar.

Here's a URL for the actual t/o bearing:

http://www.howeracing.com/DriveTrain/Index-Throw-HydRacing.htm

Note that it has only about 3/8" of throw.

For a typical Triumph application, you need more like 1/2" of throw if you
can get it. You might be able to make this one work, but it really depends
on what clutch you have. John's car, if I recall correctly had a
multi-disk tilton clutch, so the 3/8" worked well. It worked quite well -
almost binary but was very nice once you got used to it (and gave the
motor enough "motivation" so it wouldn't stall).

Gee - that was fun car to drive! Thanks John!

Regarding hydraulic T/O bearings, there are other ones out there with the
"universal mount" ears that have a tad more travel and those would be a
good choice if they have the roughly .500" travel mentioned.

I know that the HDVA setup uses a custom tranny "snout", so you need to
pay attention to the ID of the bearing _or_ cut/modify the snout to
accomodate the bearing over the snout. As John said, the tough part is
setting the proper height of the bearing so you don't pre-load the clutch
or have to travel a tonne to start the engagement. Hermann did a nice job
with his... hint, hint. But for the adventurous, this is a reasonable
project.

> R. John Lye
>
> rjl6n@cstone.net

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489