fot

Re: [FOT] Thoughts on a TR tow vehicle

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Thoughts on a TR tow vehicle
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:17:01 -0500
I tried towing my Formula Ford with a Lincoln Mk IV four door sedan a
number of years ago. It had an even bigger engine, 460 I think. It
had a trunk big enough to house the Utah Jazz. It had lots of torque
but the handling was terrible, even with air shocks. I never knew
where it was going in a corner, or how early to start turning the
steering wheel. Okay on straights, not good in corners. It looked
great, though. Maroon with a white interior, previously owned by an
Avon saleslady. Smelled like Avon. With that white interior and that
odor, it was like driving a French bordello.

I'm a low budget guy, one of the very very few people left towing
with an open trailer. I'm a minority trailer person, so to speak. For
low cost tow vehicles, I think you just can't beat a Chevrolet Astro
van. Both Tony and I tow with them (previously Dentinger and Korey
and Alexander too). With that torquey V6, they have enough power for
the Midwest and for going over the Appalachians to the East Coast and
they will do the Rockies but I wouldn't want to do it every day. They
hold a ton of stuff, they are cheap, like $3000 - $4000 and they last
forever. I have 180,000 on mine and the dealership says I can expect
250,000. It gets 12 mpg towing, 16 for general use. It would breathe
a little harder going up mountains like you have, but Joe Alexander
and I have made several west coast runs towing with his Astro,
including one memorable trip through your home town to share a pizza with you.

It will be interesting to hear what others say, but opinions on this
subject are highly suspect if they come from guys with more than
$10,000 in their tow vehicle and trailer.

At 02:56 AM 8/15/2006, you wrote:
>So what do you think might be the towing capacity of a 1967 Ford Country
>Squire station wagon with the 390 cubic inch motor?
>

>--
>mjb.
>
>http://fatchancegarage.com
>
>"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep is the gettin' there."
>

>===  Help keep Team.Net on the air
>===     http://www.team.net/donate.html

uncle jack