fot

Re: [FOT] KN Wheel

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] KN Wheel
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:10:46 EDT
In a message dated 9/21/2006 6:03:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
> Subject: Re: [FOT] KN Wheel
>
> Good theory--sounds like a Sherlock Holmes conclusion--but wrong
> nonetheless. Offset is expressed in inches or millimeters. The letter
> designation in rims is flange type, and refers to how the rim grips
> the tire. There are a lot of flange designs, most of which have been
> consigned to the dustbin of technology. The overwhelming majority of
> rims for cars and race cars are type J. Be thankful. Some of those
> odd flanges were nearly impossible to mount, and even harder to get
> the tire to run true.

No one has mentioned D,

The original wheels on small chassised Triumphs were 4D, later wider-J's were
fitted.

I once lost a newish Pirelli tyre on a Triumph Herald at a track day, going
sideways after passing the limits of adhesion, on standard 4.5D Dunlop
wheels...came half way off the rim!

Rgds

Leon

<A