fot

Re: [FOT] MIG Welder

To: <N197TR4@cs.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] MIG Welder
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:03:07 -0500
When my partner and I bought a MIG welder we split the cost so that gave us
more choices.  Bought a Hobart as about the only difference between that and
a Miller is the color.  The Hobart came with a Miller gun.  On my brothers
advice (machinist and part owner of a maintenance repair shop) got a 220V as
I had it available in the shop.  Best thing we ever did was to get a self
darkening helmet.  Actually go a "demo" unit from a friend who is in sales
at an industrial supply house.  Now they are really coming down if price.
Have always used gas.  Got some Argon and did some aluminum welding, worked
good.  Learned the hard way to use the correct diameter wire for the
thickness of material being welded.  Blew a lot of holes in 20 GA sheet
metal trying to do patches with 0.035 wire.  The wire tensioner and gun on
the Hobart were easy to setup and trouble free.  Was even able to push
aluminum wire to the gun with the right setup of the cable.  Lastly, got a
lot of good advice from the welder at worker who was glad to help out.

Tim