fot

RE: [FOT] Sway Bars

To: <Gt6steve@aol.com>, <spitlist@cox.net>, <wgrosenbach@juno.com>,
Subject: RE: [FOT] Sway Bars
From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:14:50 -0700
It's relatively easy to make a formula V a zero roll car--all the modern
ones are. They are light and have limited power. Once you start adding
weight and horsepower the challenge becomes managing lateral forces on
the tires and using the roll to change camber and provide feedback to
the driver. I'd suspect the spits would benefit from a Z bar but it
would take a lot of work to make them work perfectly. Something even
whackier, like the anti sway system on Radicals and some other sports
racers would probably be even better, but would be even more illegal.

Any modern car will outperform our cars--a Yugo has a better suspension
design, a simple benefit of modern perspective and computers. If you
look at all the formulae in the older books it's clear that they
couldn't really do design mathematically, all you could do was get close
and then use practical experience and experiment to adjust. Nowadays we
can apply the power of a giant 1970's datacenter to the most trivial
problem--like correcting our spelling.

Our good FOT friend Chris in Germany turned me onto Lapsim from Bosch,
the free version will run on about any of our Widows computers. It will
take about an hour to download it and twenty years to master it, but
what an amazing tool. If you don't have any free time then don't even
consider it. But you can Google Lapsim and Bosch to find the download
site.