fot

[FOT] Linearity of Y-pipe exhaust collectors

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Linearity of Y-pipe exhaust collectors
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:58:24 -0500
Amici,

I am building an exhaust system for the TR6.  Headers are 6-2-1, single pipe
down the
chassis spine, and then I intend to place a Y-pipe just aft of the chassis
breast plate
and bifurcate the exhaust on either side of the diff and dump gases out the
back.

This I believe is how Group 44 and Kas recommend it be done.

My concern is about the Y-pipe.  Looking through the cattledogs, I see
lots of 2-1 Y-pipes that are to be used as header collectors.  The cheap
ones
are stamped, and the expensive ones appear to be nicely cut tubes and
welded.
More often than not the outlet (single) pipe is larger in diameter than the
2 inputs.

Can I use one of these 2-1 Y-pipe collectors as my 1-2 bifurcator? In other
words,
will a 2-1 collector not mess with the flow of gases if I reverse it?  I.e.,
is
gas flow through a Y-pipe collector linear?

My gut feeling is that if the bifurcation is "sharp" (like the bow of a
ship), there
should be little change in the backpressure.  But if the collector looks
more like
a barge to the oncoming gases, this will really mess up the flow.

Shane Ingate, ain't no hydrodynamicist, in Maryland
"Any man can cut up a car.  It takes a great man to put it together."

Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and morethen map the best
route!  http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001