fot

Re: [Fot] 6cyl TR Valve cover gasket

To: "'Friends of Triumph'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] 6cyl TR Valve cover gasket
From: "Don Carter" <don@carterdesignassociates.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:59:13 -0600
Bob,
What I did might help you if you are looking to have a silicon gasket.  I
got rather tired of leaking gaskets myself on an after market cover that
does not have a groove to hold the cork/rubber stock setup the is too narrow
to work on the aluminum valve cover.  I bought a set of small block V-8
Chevy silicon gaskets and made one gasket from the two to fit my TR6. I have
used it now for 5 years, and it has lasted through numerous valve
adjustments and one major head rebuild. The trick is to make the splices so
they won't leak. I used a razor blade "saw tooth" shaped cut fitted to each
of the 4 needed splices making the oil, which is under some pressure, have
to work extra hard to get out through the splices.  Then I used RTV in the
splices and to attach it to the flat contact surface of the aluminum cover.
It has never been off of the valve cover in 5 years.  I also like the crisp
blue line it makes between the cover and the head.

Don Carter