fot

Re: [Fot] TR 4 Differentials

To: westerneagleracing@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR 4 Differentials
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:44:37 GMT
Ron, I have broken 2 Detroit lockers in my 10 years of racing, one about 5
years ago and one last year.  The first was at Beaverun.  The flange that the
ring gear mounts to separated from the rest of the locker.  I have heard of
this happening to others.  The latest failure was at NHIS, entering turn 1
(using the south chicane).  I heard a louder than normal clunk and then only
the right rear tire was driving me.  Turned out that the gears inside
stripped.  Upon further inspection I did find a crack where the ring gear
flange connected to the rest of the locker, so it was only a matter of time
before that failed.  Bear in mind that I am racing SCCA with big fat slicks,
running 8 or 9 racers per year.
Good luck finding a detroit locker.  They are getting rare and expensive.
Speaking of expensive I just bought a Tran-X diff.  With the detroit locker
failures I figure the Tran-x will be chaper in the long run.  I will use it in
place of my last detroit locker and run the locker in a spare axle housing.  I
also have another axle (with 4.10 gears) set up with a welded diff.  Aside
from the failures I had no problems with car control using the detroit
lockers.  Joe(B)

-- westerneagleracing@worldnet.att.net wrote:
FOTs
I have run my TR-4A (solid axle) in vintage racing for three years with the
stock differential with no problems until it lock - unlocked - and then broke
completely at Sears Point.  I am down to two choices. Another stock one since
I like the way the car handled with the stock one or a Detroit locker which I
understand works well if you are fairly smooth get your breaking done and then
accelerate  out of the turn without much on and off the gas.

Any thoughts.  Reliability?? Handling??

Thanks,
Western Eagle Racing/Ron Jacobs