fot

Re: [Fot] brake bias / balance

To: <mikee@ragtops.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] brake bias / balance
From: "David Talbott" <dtalbott@archrepro.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:55:47 -0700
The temperature approach will also be subject to variation given the
differential heating and cooling aspects of vented rotors compared to solids,
as well as ducting or airstream variables, pad compounds, etc.  The
proportioning valve is a very handy tool if you are starting with a balance
situation that is rear biased, since proportioning valves (unlike the bias
adjusters on master cylinders) are usually pressure-limiting devices, simply
reducing the rear pressure and effort. Like the knobs for cockpit adjustable
cylinders, the nice part about a proportioning valve within the drivers reach
is the ability to make changes on the fly.

You may find that you have to fiddle with the relative master cylinder sizes
(or wheel cylinders if you have rear drums) to get to a rear-heavy staring
point for pressure-limiting type systems.  Many production-based cars have
pressure-limiting or pressure-delaying devices installed that can be removed
to help get to the desired staring point for a racecar.

Of course, if you are a high roller like Joe Alexander you would have a bias
bar on the cylinders and then fine tune it all with the proportioning valve in
the cockpit.  Ultimately though, as Kas mentioned recently, you want to be
able stand on the brakes real hard, but then get off of 'em a bit sooner and
let that sticky rubber slow you down as you turn in.   You work hard to make
the brakes work well, and then you work hard to learn how to not slow down so
much.

Dave

David Talbott, President
Architectural Reproductions, Inc.