fot

Re: [Fot] Mallory condenser problems

To: twakeman@razzolink.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Mallory condenser problems
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:20:12 GMT
I had at this same problem with bad condensers a few years ago on my race TR3.
I decided (after consulting this esteemed group) that Mallory was making junk
condensers and gave up on them.  I gutted the mallory dual point of the
advance weights (had these fail too), condenser and one set of points.  Now I
just use a set of points as a trigger for an MSD6AL box and use an MSD
electronic advance box.  Joe(B)

-- TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com> wrote:
Earlier this year I gave up on my Lucas distributor and converted to a
Mallory dual point system.  I've been much happier with the distributor
curve.  However it goes through condensers like popcorn at the movies.
Some go bad in as little as 1000 miles.  This is the first time I ever
had condensers go bad on me.

I'm puzzled by the cause and any suggestions would be welcome.

Vehicle Triumph TR3A.
Coil Lucas Sport coil
Newer battery with freshly cleaned terminals. Battery wiring stock.
Electrical wiring stock except for alternator conversion and electric
fan.  I've never had a condenser go bad with a Lucas distributor in the
same environment.

Voltmeter shows no resistance ground between point ground plate and
distributor body.

Are Mallory condensers unusually fragile?  Is there a common substitute
I can use that is a bit more robust? Is there something I'm overlooking?

Right now I'm afraid to go out to dinner or to the grocery store without
a spare condenser and tools in the boot.

TeriAnn
jaboruch@netzero.net
Fot mailing list
Fot@autox.team.net