fot

Re: [Fot] Mallory condenser problems

To: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@razzolink.com>, "Friends of Triumph"
Subject: Re: [Fot] Mallory condenser problems
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:10:30 -0700
The capacitance of the condensor is related to the resistance of the
priimary windings of the coil that is in the circuit. So the coil is
critical!. The Mallory condensors may also not be as robust as they could
be.
    A couple of years ago, when setting up a Mallory unit for a competition
car, I noticed that the total dwell time available using the dual poiints in
the Mallory system was WAY less than the 60 degrees of dwell available when
using a Lucas 25 D or DM2 distributor. I called Mallory and taked to one of
their engineers about this. Their response was that the windings of the
Lucas coils are such that they take longer to charge up and so require a
longer dwell time and a Mallory brand coil. He suggested that a Mallory coil
was necessary in order to get the most perfromance from the Mallory
distributor and that the condensor would then be matched to the coil.

            Greg Solow.