fot

[Fot] gearbox legality

To: fot@autox.team.net, Carl Braun <clbraun@vintagerace.net>,
Subject: [Fot] gearbox legality
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:16:17 -0500
I didn't realize until this thread started that some organizations
allow other gearboxes if 'functionally equivalent". Same goes for
brakes. Here are excerpts from SVRA's rules:

"Transmissions: Must be functionally equivalent to the unit provided
by the manufacturer. Gear ratios are free with no increase in the
number of forward speeds. Reverse must work."

The old TR gearbox with overdrive gives six speeds. Converting to
Toyota or other would bring that back down to five.

Likewise on brakes, (too long to retype) the gist of it is that
alternate rotors, drums, and calipers are allowed as long as current
dimensions, materials, and pad area are maintained.

I really like those regs. Not all North American racing clubs agree.
The only "advantage" these regs may give a competitor is in a
reduction of maintenance cost and time. Everybody who has tried to
keep Triumph transmissions intact for more than a couple of years, or
anyone who has tried to make the new stainless brake pistons and new
seals actually work, will appreciate what I mean.

uncle jack