fot

Re: [Fot] gearbox legality

To: <mdporter@dfn.com>, "Bill Babcock" <billb@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] gearbox legality
From: "Bob" <rdavis4@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:31:42 -0400
This GT6 has a T50 5 speed so can't say much about the others (besides the
others are much larger and heavier than the T50). However, they did modify
the front of the T50 case to accept a larger input shaft ball bearing
assembly in the later gearboxes which was supposed to help. When buying
spare parts (which are readily available if you know where to look) you need
to know which box you have.

I have looked inside 100K gearboxes and 50K gearboxes. Bearings show little
or no wear in either. Even the syncro's are still good and Granny drove the
car for 20 years.

Used gearboxes are everywhere for $150-$200. Really good ones from Japan are
$500-$1000. A variety of close ratio gear sets are available if you look
hard
.
I know I will get hammered for saying this.....but most of us are just
wannabe drivers anyway (me included) and how much advantage will the gearbox
really give you. It will sure keep you on the track longer and seeing the
cars on the track is really the fun for alot of us.