fot

Re: [Fot] gearbox legality

To: billb@bnj.com, henry@henryfrye.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] gearbox legality
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:28:44 EDT
In a message dated 09/21/2007 4:42:14 PM Central Daylight Time, billb@bnj.com
writes:

> This is one of those rare occasions when I don't agree with you
> Henry. No doubt deliberate shifting is the answer to longevity, and
> no doubt the cost of not shifting deliberately should modify
> behavior. But it doesn't. There are those folks that can get around a
> track pulling everything out of a car without grinding a gear. And
> those that can't. You see it at every level of racing--the people
> with mysterious mechanical sympathy that never break anything but
> still stand on podiums, and the mid-pack folks that can break the
> ears off a brass donkey. It's a talent, it's not a conscious decision.

Mechanics, who also race, tend to have a gentle driving style because they
know and think about what it takes to rebuild.  Mike Belfer had a smooth gentle
style and drove that way.  Mike Cataldo, Belfer's racing partner, was the hot
shoe in their paddock.  He went faster, but then he didn't have to repair the
race car.

Those of us who don't wrench never really get that.  I've seen several Jack
Drews in-car video races.  Jack's a front runner and I am always amazed at how
smooth he drives.  Same thing with John Harkness.

Bill Dentinger