fot

[Fot] Mallory condenser failures

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Mallory condenser failures
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:50:59 -0500
I'm trying to get through to the Mallory tech people to share our
frustration with them, but in the meantime I uncovered their document
1484M which is too long to attach but I will excerpt it:

IF THE POINTS BURN UP OR THE CONDENSER FAILS FREQUENTLY:

1.Condenser failure is often due a grounding problem. Make sure
surfaces are free of grease, oil, etc
2. If the condenser needs changing, make sure that the bracket is
changed at the same time. The brackets are basically a one-use part.
They are designed to scratch through the rust preventative coating on
the condenser when it is installed. Scuffing off this coating will
guarantee a good ground.
3. -- grounds
4. A simple ground strap from the distributor body to the block can
solve the problem. The distributor clamp is not a reliable ground.

Also, interestingly, a section entitled

IF THE POINTS ARE CONTINUALLY OUT OF ADJUSTMENT

1. lateral movement of the shaft means the distributor has to be rebuilt
2. Confirm that the point set is not designed for racing only with
excessive spring tension. This increases rubbing block wear even when
properly lubricated.

Huh. Ididn't know there were two series of points.

uncle jack