fot

Re: [Fot] leakdown tester, follow-on question

To: Jack W. Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] leakdown tester, follow-on question
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:59:56 -0700
Nope, sounds like a lot of work. What are you getting at--you think
the sleeves are wiggly? You're right. As I think Joe discovered when
he was looking into restoring cylinders, you need a torque plate to
bore or hone them. Even then, nothing says that the clamping pressure
is the same, or that they distort evenly, or that heat cycles don't
have a big effect (they do). I don't know how much it matters. But I
do know that if you can keep a TR motor from sticking or overheating
for the first four or five events, then the engine gets "happy" and
lasts a long time. Purely subjective information, I know, but the
motor in Peyote has more than 15 events--that's probably 50
practices, qualifiers, races and warmups. It's a very happy motor and
I'm loathe to tear it down. It's got less than six percent leakdown
on all four cylinders.