fot

Re: [Fot] leakdown tester, follow-on question

To: billb@bnj.com, vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] leakdown tester, follow-on question
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:32:18 EDT
"As I think Joe discovered when  he was looking into restoring cylinders, you
need a torque plate to  bore or hone them. "

Bill,

The method of clamping we have now replicates what we used in the JOHN DEERE
factory for production liners. No use of Torque Plate.  We did extensive
testing with both Torque Plate and the Liner Clamping Fixture.   Clamping
Fixture
was clearly superior for repeatability and cycle time.

It is available for anyone's use. I can supply address to send liners to. I
have no financial interest.  Didnt want another level of cost if someone needed
to use it. About $20-25/liner plus shipping.

Allison, Iowa

Joe Alexander
Jesup, Iowa

>  As I think Joe discovered when
> he was looking into restoring cylinders, you need a torque plate to
> bore or hone them. Even then, nothing says that the clamping pressure
> is the same, or that they distort evenly, or that heat cycles don't
> have a big effect (they do). I don't know how much it matters. But I
> do know that if you can keep a TR motor from sticking or overheating
> for the first four or five events, then the engine gets "happy" and
> lasts a long time. Purely subjective information, I know, but the
> motor in Peyote has more than 15 events--that's probably 50
> practices, qualifiers, races and warmups. It's a very happy motor and
> I'm loathe to tear it down. It's got less than six percent leakdown
> on all four cylinders.

   </HTML>