fot

Re: [Fot] Copper vs steel figure 8 gaskets

To: "Mark York" <m-syork@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Copper vs steel figure 8 gaskets
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:02:06 -0700
Copper figure eight gaskets sound nice, but I'd get out a cattle prod
and get them back to work (unless it's Garmey, and in that case you
need a Sheep prod--sort of a Kiwi joke there). The gaskets are mostly
space. If you got some teeny grit on the sealing faces then a highly
annealed copper gasket might let it punch in instead of standing
proud, but that's pretty out there.

I can't imagine copper gaskets deforming under the sealing pressure
of a cylinder base--too much surface area and the copper is too wide
and too hard. Mordy undoubtedly knows best, but it sounds goofy to
me. A thin coat of right stuff on a stocker gasket, and just the
right thickness to stand all the cylinder flanges evenly above the
block face a couple of thou (after you put the head on without a
gasket and torque it to about ten pounds, then remove it and check
the cylinder protrusion) and Bob's yer uncle.

Who is doing the work for you? If it really is Garmey, forget I said
anything, the kid knows what he's doing. Or at least Gene, his father
in law, does.