fot

Re: [Fot] KASTNER CUP CHALLENGE - WATKINS GLEN 2008

To: "Greg Lunker Hilyer <lunkercars@earthlink.net>; FOT <fot@autox.team.net>"@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] KASTNER CUP CHALLENGE - WATKINS GLEN 2008
From: <dos_gusanos@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:43:48 -0600
     Man, a lot has been said here, as I see it the Kastner Cup stands on its
own.  If you love to get together with all the other Triumph Nuts, you should
go.  The playing field will never be level and the victory must exist in one's
mind through your own participation.  I finished last at the all Elva race,
and was thrilled just to have overcome all the hurdles that stood in my way
just to get the car together and get there.
     When I started vintage racing in 1986, I had the pleasure to share the
track in my TR3 with real Cobras, Cunningham C4R's and lots of other cool
cars.  Now the prospects of racing with IT 240z refugees just doesn't hold the
same appeal.  (say that real fast)  Our local club just "expanded eligibility"
to 1980.  As I read the rule change, it included cars like Honda Civic which
was done purely out of the convenience that there are a couple in town that
want to show up and race.  This sounds like a true expansion rather than a
continuation policy, I support niether.
     General Racing puts their events together fairly well pairing period
prepared cars with other cars from their period.  You would not see the Group
44 TR6 pass the Bolton-Rothschild TR4 at a General Racing event because they
never shared the track with each other back in the day.  Just check out the
video that Kas forwarded the other day of the 1971 runoffs.  First thing the
announcer touts is that the amatuers are gone and this race will be among
professionals.  Then it looks like a Spec 240Z race except for the TR6 hanging
in there.  These cars are a whole different breed from cars 6 or 7 years
earlier that were still racing on wire wheels, maybe even being street driven.
     The future of Vintage Racing from my point of view is rather bleak as the
prices of cars from the vintage period increase, and folks who remember the
Vintage Period for what it was die off.  Organizers of current vintage events
who have strayed from the pre '67 formula are desperately trying to fill their
grids with cars from the seventies, the period where amatuer road racing died,
and finding there is little more enthusiasm for these Nerd Cars now, as there
was back then.  Some clubs that have stuck with a hard line on the Vintage
cutoff dates, like CSRG, appear to be still doing well and I hope to
participate with all their cool 50's and 60's cars next year.

OBEY THE '67 GCR!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Henry Morrison
Albuquerque, NM

By the way, anybody going to Vegas?

 > To: fot@autox.team.net> From: lunkercars@earthlink.net> Date: Mon, 8 Oct
2007 22:13:16 -0600> Subject: [Fot] KASTNER CUP CHALLENGE - WATKINS GLEN 2008>
> Begin forwarded message:> > > From: "Greg \"Lunker\" Hilyer"
<lunkercars@earthlink.net>> > Date: October 8, 2007 10:11:14 PM MDT> > To: FOT
<fot@autox.team.net>> > Subject: [Fot] KASTNER CUP CHALLENGE - WATKINS GLEN
2008> >> >>> >> FoTers,> >> I think Henry Morrison will be as surprised as I,
to find myself > >> basically siding with him, as we've have had this
discussion > >> several times before. However... Personally, I encourage
expanded > >> eligibility for the sake of including later cars for bigger
grids. > >> A 1980 Spit for example, has no specific advantage to a earlier >
>> car as long as it is prepped to a specific GCR.> >> Regarding your car
Keith, and with no disrespect as for it's high > >> level of preparation,
wouldn't it be more concise to list what it > >> DID leave the factory with?
To me " All original steel panels > >> except for GRP hood, trunk lid, drivers
door, all 4 wings and > >> hardtop " is like saying " all original car except
for body, > >> frame, engine and transmission". I don't even know what GRP is
> >> [glass, resin, something?] but it sounds light to me! As for the > >>
rest, over here, "trick", pertaining to racing, means state of > >> the art
[which your car sounds to be] - not> >> "an act or scheme to out whit or
deceive" {Webster}> >> I guess I don't really understand what the Kastner Cup
is based on > >> - Someone please enlighten me. Again, no disrespect aimed at
> >> anyone, but when I went to Miller for the K.C. this year, I > >> actually
removed my drilled rotors [of dubious benefit] so there > >> would be no
question as to "The Spirit of Vintage". My set of dual > >> Webers were and
are on the shelf for the same reason. I have a > >> welder but won't use it to
"improve" my diff for the same reason.> >> Most of the cars I raced with in
Utah were from VARA who's rules > >> read:> >>> >> Engine:> >>> >> Same
type/size as year of manufacture (0.060" overbore limit).> >> Period correct
roller rocker arms are ok. No stud girdles. > >> Compression Ratio is limited
to 10 to 1 maximum unless it can be > >> documented as higher from the factory
as delivered for street > >> use. Block and heads must be OEM and period
correct. No aluminum > >> flywheels. No dry sump oiling systems unless
originally sold as > >> such. Oil coolers and radiators are free but must not
conflict > >> with stock type appearance of body.> >>> >>> >> Carburetion:> >>
Stock carb size and make per model series (same mfg & venturi > >> count). No
Weber DCOE sidedrafts where not originally equipped.> >>
--------------------------------------------------------------------- > >>
--------------------------------------------------------------------- > >>
---------------------> >>> >> Sorry guys, but I didn't see any cars in
compliance with the > >> exception of mine. And Nostalgia [host club] is even
more strict > >> [?] than VARA. The Kastner Cup race winning TR6 was [as
graciously > >> stated be the owner/driver] prepared to within an inch of it's
> >> life to SCCA specs. It also took a overall 1st in our run group > >>
[small bore - B]. If it wasn't for our "special" K.C. race, I > >> doubt if
Nostalgia would have allowed the car in a vintage event - > >> not really fair
to the others.> >> Based on the recent discussion, I don't see how my Vintage
prepped > >> TR4 could possibly be competitive. Looks like my plans to attend
> >> Watkings Glen have changed - unless someone can promise rain!> >> Greg
"Lunker" Hilyer> >> TR4 #314> >> Albuquerque N.M.>