fot

Re: [Fot] KASTNER CUP CHALLENGE - WATKINS GLEN 2008

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, cartravel@pobox.com, fasttrs@mindspring.com,
Subject: Re: [Fot] KASTNER CUP CHALLENGE - WATKINS GLEN 2008
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:26:01 EDT
In a message dated 10/03/2007 8:24:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
JWoesvra@aol.com writes:

> First, SVRA has regular race groups which accommodate everything Triumph
> ever built.
>
> That includes TR8's prepared as SCCA C-Production cars and IMSA GTO  cars.
>
> TR7's are welcome in Group 8 on treaded tires.
>
> We have a place for Dolomites, 2000 sedans, even Stags if race  prepared.
>
> What we do not have a place for is earlier cars that are prepared to
> current
> SCCA specifications. These cars do not fit in any of our Groups. They  are
> not "vintage" cars.
>
> Keep in mind that The Zippo race is not a small club type event where we
> might be inclined to accept everyone.
>
> The Zippo is the largest Vintage race in the USA and this year the readers
> of Vintage Motorsport voted it the Best Vintage Event, with Monterey being
> second. (Try to get in there with a TR!).
>
> Because of the worldwide exposure we cannot go far outside the "vintage"
> standard.
>
> I will consider all requests for entry but I don't see a place for current
> SCCA club race cars.

Amici...

Personally, it is not a big issue for me.  As I work my way to the back of
the pack, I am both used to and comfortable being on the track with faster
cars.
 I'll have no issue if TRIUMPHs prepared to current specs are approved.  But
there are other issues.

SVRA has always been more than accommodating.  But as Jack points out, the
ZIPPO event at the GLEN is MAJOR and has a ton of aspects that require
attention
and consideration over and above their featured marques.  And, of course, it
is a vintage event.

Any wholesale bending of the rules can also complicate the award of the
KASTNER CUP (which came about well after the SVRA 1992 MID-OHIO event).  The
KASTNER CUP is a performance award, and has been awarded to racers in 'vintage'
race
cars.  That gets sticky when you include modern cars in the mix.

Bill Dentinger