fot

[Fot] Driving to the track in the race car

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Driving to the track in the race car
From: spyderweb@uwalumni.com
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:13:36 -0500
Kurt Oblinger wrote:

> Driving race cars to the track was quite common
> in the old days, even F1 cars.
> http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/9475/60trintingnant9dd.jpg
>
> Some of you So. Cal. folks will recognize that piece
> of road as the stretch of 60 freeway just before the
> Day St. offramp that took you to Riverside Raceway.

It's been decades since I lived in SoCal, but I remember that stretch
of road VERY well since I was at UC-Riverside at the time and went to
virtually all the races during those 4+ years.

> The teams used garages in the town of Riverside...

As did the teams entered in the annual LA Times GP for sports cars.
For a couple of years I worked at a foreign car repair/accessories
shop on University Avenue where we put up two or three team cars every
year. A highlight of those weekends was watching the drivers compete
on the shop's slot car track (built as a miniature replica of the
Riverside track, of course).

And when I started racing my TR-4 in '63, I drove it to the Raceway as
well. Who needs a trailer for a five-mile trip -- and what's more fun
than driving a race car on the street?

Jim Hill