fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 motor rebuild

To: Charly Mitchel <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 motor rebuild
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:06:29 -0700
Charly,
      The TR6 rod is fine if you follow Kas' comp prep instructions and
shot peen them. We used to shift at 7600 rpm and the rods never gave a
problem. Carrillo rods used to use 1/4" rod bolts and the only people I
know who broke TR6 rods were Carrillo users. Carrillo did this because
they didn't/wouldn't split the rods on a diagonal and there isn't any
room for bigger bolts on a conventional pattern rod due to the small
bore of a TR6. I had talked with Crower at one point and they thought
they could use 9/32" or 5/16" bolts. I also investigated Pauter and at
the time they thought they could do a diagonal split rod. The piston
acceleration on a TR6 is brutal because of the long stroke short rod
combination. At 7000 rpm it is about the same as a 4" x 3" small block
Chevy at 10,000 rpm.
      First choice for pistons is Cosworth. We ran one set for 12 years,
6-8 races a year. Arias is good too but the Cosworths fit the best at
temperature.
Greg Lund