fot

Re: [Fot] checking bearing clearances

To: riverside <riverside@Cedar-Rapids.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] checking bearing clearances
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:30:46 -0800
I'd say you did the right thing but came to the wrong conclusion.
First, you can and should use plastiguage across the bearing parting
lines, I generally put it there and in the middle of the top bearing.
Second--most folks wouldn't have found the problem any quicker with an
inside mike--everyone checks the middle anyway. It's not the right
thing to do, but I've seen even good machinists measure only there.
Third, all measurements can lie--if your crank doesn't turn completely
freely there is something wrong that WON'T GET BETTER by itself.

On Feb 1, 2008, at 12:15 PM, riverside wrote:

> Once upon a time,  I laid -check that- installed a
> reground crank with nice new  standard bearings that checked
> out fine with plastigauge if a bit on the loose side.
> you could barely turn the crank by hand.
> bought a set of bearings from another manufacturer (.001 undersize)
> and installed same.  plastigauged snugger as one would expect,
> but crank turned freely now.
> i bought a set of modestly priced micrometers and bore gauges from
> Enco and measured everything.  The first set of bearings were
> junk across the parting lines where the plastic could not go.
> Haven't used the stuff since and don't plan on it.
>
> art de armond

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com