fot

Re: [Fot] checking bearing clearances

To: John Herrera <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] checking bearing clearances
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 10:42:25 -0800
It's a combination of precision and adhering to proper style. Formal
newspaper style requires that numbers less than ten be written by name
rather than number. Newspaper and magazine reporters, who didn't wish
to be spanked by their editors, but who refused to crack the AP book
of style to double check (claiming exalted professionalism), started
writing both in their articles claiming the number in parentheses
confirmed the written number and the editor could just delete the
superfluous addition (whichever it was). Of course a lot crept through
while the editors were digesting their hydraulic sandwiches (generally
a beer and a bump, but at the Times it was certainly three martinis).
Lawyers and engineers saw them and thought they were cool, and started
using the form. Then the military in their stilted attempt to combine
accurate communication with impenetrable jargon adopted it immediately.

So fundamentally every lazy, trend following, neo-conservative, lefty,
commie, militaristic, geek, ambulance chaser in the world does it from
time to time.

and of course I made all this up on the fly.

On Feb 1, 2008, at 3:18 PM, John Herrera wrote:

> > with a three (3) point bore gauge.
>
> I have always wondered why do people do this. Is there some kind of
> legal document reason? What could three mean besides 3?
>
> Do you really think that someone will misinterpret three?  Like
> three means 4, for example? "Oh, I'm so glad you put that 3 in
> parentheses next to three. I thought you meant 4!"
>
> Where does this come from? It has that Military feel to it.
>
> John H.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com