fot

Re: [Fot] The garage mahal

To: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [Fot] The garage mahal
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:19:37 -0700
As usual (for me), I started with a loose plan and deviated as i went
along. the third stand i built is completely different from the first--
and i made them all the same day. The pad is about eight inches--just
a section of square tube placed sideways--and it has a larger lip
welded across each end to retain the frame rails.

all the stands are H section, the first ones were coupled together by
a long telescoping and locking center pole. The last one i built has
each stand independent. Both approaches work fine.

I also made two lever lifts to raise the car high enough to put the
stands under. It's effortless as long as I have enough room for the
lever. The lever lifts are curved rocker rails that hook under the
frame rail ends. as you reach the end of the rocker there's a stop you
bump over, and then the car rests on the bump until you get the stand
in place. I can actually lift both ends sequentially by taking the
lever handle out of the rail assembly and sticking it in the second
one, but when you lift the second end it pushes back against the
rocker rails and skids them backwards. Hasn't fallen yet, but it's
spooky, so I do one end, put a stand under, do the other, stick a
stand under and connect the coupling rod (if it's one of the first two
stand setups)
On Mar 31, 2008, at 10:35 AM, Robert Lang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did you build the roller stands from a plan? I see the basic "H"
> design, but I'm curious how they attach to the frame. How big is the
> "pad" that the frame rails set on?
>
> It would seem to me that if the individual frames weren't attached
> to the frame the pads should pretty long so the car wouldn't fall
> off when you lift the opposite end by any large amount.
>
> Just curious. I have some under wheel dollies that I use, but the
> roller stands have a great deal of appeal to me.
>
> regards,
> rml
> Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
> Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
> Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com
503.936.7660